Have a great summer!
As another year at Easterside Academy draws to an end, I look back at all the things we’ve achieved as a school and couldn’t be prouder to be part of such a great team, with wonderful staff, children, and parents.
Together we have had another successful and very busy year! Some of the main events and occasions that have stood out for me were:
- Summer Family Picnic – This was the first time we’ve held a picnic instead of our traditional summer fair and the feedback from families was really positive! Lots of you expressed to myself and staff that you enjoyed this event more than the summer fair. I think the lovely weather helped! We have listened to the feedback though and are planning another Summer Family Picnic next year.
- The Family Colour Run – Following on from the Colour Run last year, I felt this second one was as equally successful. There was again such a great turn out from families, with many ready to join in the fun with us! It was a really fun and enjoyable afternoon and so good to see children, families and staff enjoying themselves together.
- Family Events – when parents and families have been able to get themselves into school and join in with the children! This has included the ‘Stay and Play’ sessions, ‘Open Mornings’, ‘Celebration Events’, the ‘Outdoor Art Gallery’ … It’s during these times that you can really feel the community spirit that Easterside truly has. Next year we’ll continue to invite you in as much as we can!
- Year 5 and 6 Camping – Going right back to the start of the year, and a memory that I’m sure will stay with all involved! Camping on the school field is an experience we now provide for all our children when they are either in Year 5 or 6. Songs round the fire; eating bugs; purifying muddy water to make hot chocolate and sleeping in tents – amazing experiences! On a personal note I didn’t sleep at all that night watching over the children in their tents. I sat in the middle of the tents at five in the morning with a coffee, watching the sun come up and loved every minute – although I was very tired!
- Care Home Links – I’ve loved our project we set up this year with some of our reception children and residents of Tollesby Hall Care Home. This year was really a trial to see if our ideas would work, and it was a huge success! The reception children made some fantastic relationships with the residents and engaged with them in a variety of activities. We hope this is now a programme that we’ll be able to get more of our reception involved in next year. Photographs and videos from this can be seen on our Twitter feed and on our website.
- Fantastic Results – Finally to end the year, we have had some great results throughout the school that highlight the hard work put in by staff and pupils – at the end of Early Years; Year 1 Phonic Screening Test; End of KS1 assessment and End of KS2 tests! Well done to everyone!
I really couldn’t be any prouder of our school and our children and everything they keep achieving and I’m already looking forward to seeing how we can continue to improve next year as we join ‘The Enquire Learning Trust’ (ELT). We are really excited about this next stage in Easterside Academy’s story and are looking forward to working collaboratively with local schools within ELT and those slightly further afield in Hull and Manchester. Everything we do will continue to be focused on providing the best possible education for your child.
Finally, I would like to wish you all a lovely Summer Break and look forward to seeing you back at school on Wednesday 5th September.